Thursday, September 9, 2010

"Grace Unbounded, Having No End..."

Have you ever been to the ocean? Have you seen the waves crashing in? What do they do? One after the other they just continue to roll in. Wave upon wave, it never stops! That's what my God's grace is like!

"...Of His fulness have all we received, and grace for grace."


Our teacher read this verse and then stood before us, letting the impact of it sink in. Some of us were slow at grasping such an incredible truth and so he moved on to his illustration. He pulled out a thick stack of paper with the word "grace" written on each slip. "Rachel? Would you like some grace?" He asked before handing over a couple slips. "Anyone else want some grace?" He handed out a few more slips. "Nobody else needs some grace?" Three or four students hopped up and crowded around him, hands outstretched. He passed out slip after slip, and the stack still wasn't running out. The students returned to their seats and he moved to the center of the room. "I still have a lot of grace left. But you know what? I have lots more where this came from!" He turned around and lifted up a heavy box that rocked the table he set it on. "This box is full of more grace! And you know what? I got this box off a truck full of boxes of more grace. And that truck got it's boxes from a warehouse that's filled with boxes of more grace. And that warehouse is just one of a chain of warehouses found in every single state.

God's grace is even greater!

I once had a guy tell me, 'I've done too many bad things to be able to accept God's grace." Our teacher raised his eyebrows as he shared his memory. "I just looked at him and said, 'Thats what makes it GRACE! It's unmerited favor!"

The teacher moved to the spot in front of me. I hadn't received a single slip yet. "Would you like some grace?" He asked. I nodded my head. "But what if you mess up?" He laid down a slip. "What if you've had a terrible past life of sin?" Another slip was laid down. "What if..." The teacher started laying down slips, one after the other, in front of me, and the pile grew bigger. Every sin, every guilt, every failure was covered by the continued covering of grace. And little by little, slip by slip, I was once again reminded of how incredible my God is.

Such a simple and profound illustration, but one that I desperately needed to be reminded of today. My Bible cover now holds a stack of slips that have the word 'grace' written on them. It won't change my life unless I choose to accept it and put it in to practice, but I can use all the reminders I can get!

1 comment:

Angie Stanley said...

Love your blog! :) I remember this "grace for grace" illustration...I still have the piece of grace that I got that day. Thanks for sharing